Florence




Ah, what an amazing city. I have to say that of all of the places I've been thus far, Florence is undoubtably my favorite (Okay, only if we are discounting Paris). Breathtaking art lingers around every corner, the streets are filled with people that look like they just stepped off the runway, and even the most rustic cafés have artisanal cappuccinos. Sounds heavenly, doesn't it?

Although the weather was nasty the whole trip, it didn't take away from the beauty of the city.

Some of the best aspects of the trip:
-Seeing the works of Michelangelo, Brunelleschi, Giotto, Vasari, and Donatello
-Walking around where Dante Alighieri lived and wandered
-Walking up the 400+ steps to see a stunning view at the top of the Duomo
-Bargaining in the leather market (bought an authentic leather jacket!)
-Trying Moscato for the first time
-Having supper at the indoor food market - just like "Eataly" in Chicago!
-Eating TRUFFLE PARMESAN SPAGHETTI at the indoor food market. Yes, it was amazing.
-Staying in a hotel right by the Ponte Vecchio
-Analyzing famous works and sculptures—Michelangelo's David, Botticelli's Birth of Venus & Allegory of Spring [Primavera], Da Vinci's Annunciation, comparison of Duccio's Medieval Rucellai Maestà to Giotto's Renaissance Ognissanti Maestà, and Vasari's Last Judgement
-cappuccino's (I never liked plain coffee before this)
-growing even closer with my classmates and teachers
-wandering, exploring, and shopping the streets!
-getting lost and running all over the city until finally finding our way back to the hotel :)

Ponte Vecchio

amazing views from the top of the Duomo...

truffle pasta

the detail in this is incredible...


My leather jacket being custom-tailored!
see what I mean about beautiful art around every corner???
David
Birth of Venus 
Annunciation 
Primavera 
The Last Judgement

The trip was so dense and fulfilling, and probably could not have gone any better. I now excitedly await my trip to St. Petersburg, which is coming up in two days! It should be amazing getting to see Russia, a place I never thought I would go, all while trying out the Model United Nations council for the first time! It is astonishing how much I've learned here on my journey in such a short period of time.
Until next time, Santé!

Comments

  1. Thank you for the photo of Ghiberti's doors! You know how much I love those...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts