Zermatt 2016



The duration of this trip was only a week, but afterward I felt like a new woman!
Now, this may sound a bit dramatic, but the trip meant more to me than you think.
First of all, I was able to dabble in the world of winter sports for the first time (and yes, I was made fun of repeatedly for being a California girl). Skiing, though not easy, was an exciting challenge. My Zermatt-native instructor, Thomas, was a firm yet jovial man, and was so tall that I had to crane my neck a lot to see him. But that isn't saying much, since I'm only 5'1.
He taught we to snowplow and to traverse hills, and by lesson three I was hittin' the intermediate slopes! I probably looked like a total rookie next to the pro skiers whizzing past me, but I couldn't stop thinking about how cool it was that I was learning to ski in the Swiss Alps!
I also tried a bit of ice skating. I wasn't able to let go of the little chair I was holding on to for balance, but I have to say that after an hour of skating, I was doing pretty well! Finally, I tried a bit of good ol' sledding—or as the Canadians say, "tobogganing!"
Let me tell you: this was not simple sledding. My friends and I ended up calling it "XTREME TOBOGGANING," as by the end of the day we were left with multiple black bruises and a possible concussion. Don't get me wrong, though. It was extremely fun.

The train ride up to Gornegrat (where the sledding took place)


a picture of one of the many falls that took place that day!


At the outdoor rink with Chloe and Brianna :)

Me trying to ski!


What I have forgotten to mention up to this point is the sheer beauty of this snowy wonderland. The glittering, undulating snow under the sunny blue sky was enchanting, and the Matterhorn was absolutely breathtaking. I cannot believe I got to visit such a pristine place.

The second reason I loved this trip so much was because I got to meet the families of my friends and grow closer with my classmates. Some of my best friends—Chloe, Brianna, Emma, Jennie, and Alexandra—have such lovely families! I grew to love my school even more, and I think the main thing I learned was that Canadians are so nice! (Seriously, they are the nicest people you will ever meet.)

Brianna, me, Alex, Chloe

Lastly, I loved this trip because I got to spend time with my Dad. It wasn't until I saw him that I realized how much I had missed him even just since Christmas! I love my Dad so much and we had a great time together.


Overall, this was a splendid and formative experience for me, and I know I will remember it for the rest of my life.


p.s. The McDonald's was selling a new menu item called "McRaclette"... doesn't get much more Swiss than that!

Comments

  1. I was so proud of you, sweet girl...You took to the ski slopes, the ice rink, the toboggan run with enthusiasm and determination, and it was rewarded. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Char...you obviously are having the best time, and also managing to make straight "A's" for the first semester.
    How fantastic...
    Now you are in Tuscany and hopefully having more adventures!
    We are so happy for you, Girl!

    With love from Grame and Eddie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts